Welcome to the Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine Elective Rotations
Visiting fourth-year medical students are invited to apply for elective rotations offered by each of the clinical departments of the Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine.
All students attending USLCME Accredited Medical Schools are required to use the AAMC Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) software for the School of Medicine electives. Those students attending Osteopathic schools participating in VSAS are also required to use the VSAS system for application submission.
We do not accept students from Off-Shore/Foreign medical schools, except for those medical schools that have a distinct affiliation agreement with the School of Medicine.
Eligibility requirements for an elective rotation are as follows:
- Completed VSAS Elective Application
- Upload copy of USMLE Step One Scores
- Student must be in Good Academic Standing
- Student must have personal health insurance
- Student must possess malpractice insurance; minimum amount of $1million per instance and $3M aggregate
- Student must have completed all core clerkship requirements prior to participating in an elective rotation
ONLY After Acceptance of an Elective Offer:
- Upload completed North Shore-LIJ Health System Medical Clearance Form and all supporting documentation (i.e. lab reports).
- Complete the Orientation for Visiting Students in Clinical Training document (including signed Clinical Training Attestation/Acknowledgement Form required on the first day of rotation).
For additional information, please contact the Director of Academic Affairs:
Director of Academic Affairs
Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
500 Hofstra University
Hempstead, NY 11549
T: (516) 463-7576
F: (516) 463-7543