When a student's payments exceed their billable charges, it results in a negative balance (a.k.a credit balance) on their account. Students may submit a refund request to receive these funds. Typically, students use these excess funds to help pay for their living expenses.
Please note that a request must be made each time a refund is anticipated. This applies not only to each term of an academic year but also each time an award is adjusted. For example, if an award package is updated after the semester begins and a refund has previously been issued and received, a student must submit another refund request.
Students have a choice between:
- eRefund (“Direct Deposit”)
- The refund will be sent directly from the University’s bank to a designated personal U.S. bank account. You can set up your eRefund account online via the Hofstra Portal.
- This is the most efficient means of receiving a refund. Once an eRefund account is established, all future refunds will be processed to this designated account, unless the authorization is revoked by the student.
- The student will automatically receive an email each time that a eRefund is sent electronically to the designated U.S. bank account.
- It is the student’s responsibility to ensure the bank account is entered correctly upon setup and to verify the availability of funds in the bank account before making transactions (withdrawals, writing checks, etc.).
- Checks will be mailed to the mailing address listed on the student’s account, which can be found on the Hofstra portal.
- NOTE: You must ensure that the mailing address on the portal account is accurate! If a check is sent to an address at which a student no longer resides, considerable delays will occur while the address is updated/corrected and a new check is produced.
- In-person pick up
- Checks will be available for pick up in room 206, Memorial Hall (South Campus).
- The student must present their student ID card to receive the check.
- The student will receive an email from the Office of the Bursar/Student Accounts once the check is ready to be picked up. Checks not picked up after three weeks will be mailed to the mailing address as listed on the student’s account.
Should you require additional information or if you have any questions, please contact the Office of Student Finance at the School of Medicine by email at email@example.com or call 516.463.7523.