Student Rights and Responsibilities
As a student you have the right to know:
- The cost of attendance and the refund policy.
- The availability of financial aid programs and the requirements that must be met in order to access such programs.
- The deadlines for submitting applications for all available aid programs.
- How financial awards are generated and the formulas / calculations used to determine need.
- The amount of financial need that has been met.
- The details of your financial aid package; that is, what portion of your award is a loan and what portion is a grant or scholarship.
- When borrowing, you have the right to know the total amount that must be repaid on a loan, the interest rate, the length of time you have to repay the loan, and when repayment is to commence.
- What happens in the event that you withdraw from the program.
- The process for reapplying for financial aid each that you are enrolled as a student.
As a student you have the following responsibilities:
- To complete all required forms accurately and honestly and submit them by the published deadlines.
- To provide any additional documentation to the Office of Student Finance within the timeframe outlined in the request.
- To report to the Office of Student Finance any additional, external financial assistance that you receive.
- To not be in default on any loans or owe a refund on any grants.
- To ensure that if outstanding loans are eligible for deferment or forbearance during enrollment, the proper documentation or notification is provided to the lender or servicer.
- To understand that any refunds issued by Hofstra University must be used exclusively towards acceptable educational expenses.
- To maintain good academic standing and make satisfactory progress.
- To notify the Office of Student Finance in writing when changes in your circumstances occur. Some examples include:
- o Change in name
o Change in marital status
o Change in living arrangements / housing
o Change in number of family members in college
o Change in enrollment status
- To thoroughly and carefully read all forms that you are required to submit and, to keep copies for your records.
- To be aware of refund and repayment policies and procedures.
- To maintain accurate records of the total loan amount(s) you owe and to know when it is time to begin repayment.
- To reapply for financial aid every year that you are enrolled as a student.