Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA)
Mission Statement: AOA is dedicated to the belief that in the profession of medicine we will improve care for all by:
- recognizing high educational achievement,
- honoring gifted teaching,
- encouraging the development of leaders in academia and the community,
- supporting the ideals of humanism, and
- promoting service to others.
A selection committee composed of School of Medicine deans and faculty meets yearly to consider fourth year students based on their clerkship grades and their USMLE Step 1 score. Students will be considered if their Step 1 score is above the national average. Students who are in the top 25% of their class academically are assessed further on leadership abilities, professionalism, service, teaching and research. The AOA allows each chapter to nominate up to one-sixth of the class for membership.