Student Finance


Students may complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to help pay for medical school.  The FAFSA becomes available each year on October 1st.  The types of federal student aid available include the Federal Direct Unsubsidized and Graduate PLUS loans.

To qualify for federal student aid, students must meet the requirements below:

  • Be a United States citizen or eligible noncitizen 
  • Have a valid social security number (with the exception of students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau)
  • Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate or completed high school education in a homeschool setting approved under state law or enroll in an eligible career pathway program and meeting one of the ability to benefit alternatives
  • Be enrolled at least half-time in an eligible degree or certificate program
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • Sign the certificate statement of the FAFSA stating that
    • you are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe money on a federal student grant
    • you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes
  • Not have a drug conviction while receiving federal student aid
  • Be registered with Selective Service, if you are male (you must register between the ages of 18-25)

Institutional Financial Aid

To be considered for institutional financial aid (North Shore-LIJ Health loan and scholarships), students must complete the following requirements:

  • File the FAFSA application and include both student and parents' financial information
    • Note: while is it not a requirement that parents contribute financially to a student's medical education, their financial data is used when determining eligibility for institutional aid  
  • Complete the Non-Custodial Parent Financial Aid Application provided in the Office of Student Finance's Welcome email upon deposit, only if your parents' are divorced, separated, unmarried and living together or were never married
  • Submit any other documents requested by the Office of Student Finance
  • Special Circumstances:
    • If you are married as of the date you filed the FAFSA and your combined income is less than the poverty level for the prior-prior tax year based on your household size, you will need to submit parent information on the FAFSA
    • If you are 26 years old or above as of August 1 in the year you matriculate, a sliding scale is used to determine parents' estimated contribution
    • If you are 30 years old or above as of August 1st of the year you matriculate, parent information is not required if the student's income is above the FAFSA year Poverty Lovel for household Size
    • Active-duty military or honorably discharged veterans are not required to submit parent information

Ready to apply? Click here