The Academy of Medical Educators is pleased to announce the pledge of $10,000 by the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell for its request for medical education innovation proposals that advance medical education and ultimately patient care. Proposals that address compelling issues in undergraduate, graduate, continuing, and interprofessional education will be considered.
The Academy's Innovations Program supports faculty who take a scholarly approach to the development of new curricula or curricular elements, focused faculty development initiatives, evaluation of pedagogical methods, and learner assessment. Open to all faculty members, these intramural funds serve as a catalyst for the development of projects that address the constantly changing ways in which health professionals are educated and health care is practiced. Innovations Awards are for one year, with the expectation that, if successful, the curricular innovation will be sustained and disseminated within and beyond Hofstra Northwell.
The goals of the Medical Education Innovations Research Fund include the following:
- Provide 'seed support' to execute an innovation project that advances medical education
- Position recipients to compete for funds from extramural agencies
- All members of the Hofstra Northwell community are invited to apply, with the exception of members of the Academy of Medical Educators, who may not serve as Principal Investigators. They may however serve as collaborators or consultants.
- Junior faculty are encouraged to apply
The AME subcommittee on medical education scholarship will review all proposals and awards will be made on the basis of
- Significance of proposal and potential impact of findings to improving medical education
- Quality and rigor of proposed research approach
- Likelihood that the proposed research program will be successfully completed
During the 2020-2021 academic year 2 funds of $5,000 each will be awarded.
Congratulations to all our previous recipients!
Introduction of Video Otoscopy to Enhance Medical Students’ Technical and Diagnostic Skills
PI: Dr. Marie Cavuoto Petrizzo
Embracing EHRs to Improve Patient Care and Solidify the Patient-Provider Relationship
PI: Dr. Magali Parisien
Vaccine Hesitancy: Bridging the Gap Between Provider and Patient (abbreviated proposal)
PI: Dr. Mundeep Kainth
Implementation of a Longitudinal Point-of-Care Ultrasound Curriculum for Northwell Hospitalists
PIs: Dr. Jared Honigman and Dr. Linda Kurian