Zucker School of Medicine
Student Emergency Fund
The Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell Student Emergency Fund was created to help students with financial assistance in a serious time of need. This fund is intended to be a supplemental financial resource when students are unable to meet immediate and essential expenses because of a temporary hardship surrounding situations such as accidents, illness, death of a family member, fire damage or need for temporary housing.
Students may apply for funds when they have exhausted all other resources (including loans through the Office of Student Finance, which have been considered and are insufficient, unavailable, or not available in a timely manner). This funding is not intended to replace or supplement existing financial aid and does not have to be repaid.
Some examples of unexpected expenses might include:
• To minimize immediate critical needs of students caused by acute financial stress
• To provide for short-term financial assistance due to unusual or unforeseen medical expenses
• Support for temporary housing, and/or other essential needs such as food, due to displacement by fire or other unforeseen environmental hazards
• Support for students experiencing food and/or housing insecurity
• Support shelter for a student in a dangerous situation due to acts of violence or other victimization
• To fund travel or transportation of a student or a student's belongings home due to family emergency, crisis, or death (does not include regularly scheduled travel for school breaks, as these are covered in a student’s financial aid package)
• Replacement book money (lost, stolen, replacement)
• Other financial needs arising from individual and special circumstances to be determined on a case-by-case basis
Students must complete this application in its entirety. All information will be verified by the Office of Student Finance. Academic, financial, and student conduct information may be used to determine eligibility. Applicants may be required to meet with a staff member in the Office of Student Affairs or Office of Student Finance to discuss their application.
The distribution of grant awards will not exceed $500. Any requested amount exceeding $500 will be reviewed for approval by the Associate Dean of Student Affairs and Director of Student Finance and will be subject to be reported on a form 1099, as required by tax regulations. Please consult with your tax advisor for any tax implications related to these funds.
The Student Emergency Fund is assistance that does not need to be repaid; however, you should consult your tax advisor for any tax implications related to this assistance. Recipients will be required to provide receipts upon request documenting the expenditure of funds.
The Zucker School of Medicine Student Emergency Fund was created and is supported solely by the generous gifts from Hofstra alumni, employees, families, friends, and members of the community.
Please contact the Office of Student Finance at firstname.lastname@example.org or (516) 463-7566 for further information.