Zucker School of Medicine
The Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra / Northwell is comprised of two buildings. The 45,000 square foot east building, former practice facility of the National Football League’s New York Jets from 1974 to 2007, opened its doors to the inaugural class of 40 students in 2011 following a multiyear renovation project. In 2015, the 68,000 square foot west addition was constructed. The two buildings are seamlessly connected to offer approximately 113,000 square feet of learning, study, administrative, and laboratory space. The environmentally conscious Zucker School of Medicine LEED Silver building framework and layout reflects an open, contemporary yet inviting space and design to inspire socialization, collaboration, and community.
The two-story facility features:
- A modern, two-story grand entryway with 4,800 square feet of open atrium space and a welcoming reception desk. Hallways and common areas are decorated with original art pieces created by Zucker School of Medicine students, faculty, and administrators.
- Twenty-six (26) flexible, small-group rooms (SGRs) that primarily serve as home to the PEARLS component but also offer collaborative study and meeting spaces. Each SGR is outfitted with a rack-mounted PC and display, modular conference table, and white board walls.
- Two (2) large medical education theaters (METs). The east MET offers 2,500 square feet of theater-style seating for 100, two (2) massive front projection screens, and a layout that allows the presenter to be one with the audience. The west MET offers approximately 6,000 square feet and comfortably seats 240. This space boasts a 208-inch diagonal front projection screen, secondary confidence monitor for presentations, lecture capture system, and rack-mounted PCs for presentation content. Audio is supported via ceiling-mounted and wall-recessed loudspeakers, along with a wireless assistive listening device for ADA compliance. The audiovisual system is controlled via multiple wall-mounted and wireless touch panels that allow for control of all AV components and features, including a theatre lighting system.
- A state-of-the-art 7,300 square foot structure laboratory offering room for more than 125 and home to the Structure component of our curriculum. Approximately 7,000 square feet of the structure lab is composed of a large open dissection teaching space and work area. Additional structure laboratory space includes a model storage and embalming lab for the anatomical model preparation/storage, environmental room, medical waste storage, preparation room, and locker areas. While working in the lab, faculty and students experience new built-in telecommunication technology, large LED displays, and state-of-the-art surgical lighting.
- Two (2) multipurpose rooms (MPRs) offering over 5,000 square feet of flexible space. Each MPR can transform to one of many possible learning and event environments in one-, two-, or three-room configurations.
- Six (6) clinical skills rooms featuring two-way mirrors and audio / video tools for faculty and peer observation, assessment, and learning. These rooms were modeled after those at Northwell Health’s Center for Learning and Innovation and replicate actual exam and hospital rooms.
- The Health Sciences Library which serve the ZSOM and School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies and is our connection to Hofstra University’s Axinn Library and Northwell Health Libraries . The library is the hub for information literacy, connecting students and faculty to comprehensive resources and services which support learning, scholarship, innovation, patient-centered clinical care, and improving the health of the community. Thousands of electronic journals, textbooks, and databases can be accessed 24/7 both on campus and off-site. Spaces for active collaborative learning as well as quiet individual study area are available.
- A student lounge offering over 2,500 square feet of private student space which includes a living room, massive television, gaming area, conversation space, three (3) club rooms, student council office, music room, and large kitchenette area.
- Eleven (11) private study rooms and several open workspaces spread throughout the facility.
- A Servery and Café area serving fresh and pre-packaged food, coffee, beverages, and snacks.
- 97 faculty and administrative offices.
- Two (2) large executive conference rooms with presentation and teleconferencing capabilities.
- Three (3) breakroom / kitchenette areas designated for faculty and administrators complete with seating, refrigerators, microwaves, and coffee machines.
- Well-appointed exterior landscaping, outdoor patio area, walkway lighting, half-court basketball, a large field for sports and activities, and parking for more than 175 vehicles spread over our north and south parking lots. Leading to our south entrance, the Alumni Walk extends the opportunity to engrave a brick along the walkway near the rear courtyard.
The ZSOM facility is the primary home to students during the First 100 Weeks (years one and two) of our student-centered curriculum. During the Second 100 Weeks (years three and four) students learn in a variety of clinical settings throughout Northwell Health, including: